Monday, November 30, 2009

A match that cannot be forgotten

30th November 2009. 7:15 pm. It was our second match in Godrej cup. In the first match, we defended a reasonable total of 63 runs in 8 overs despite conceding 25 runs in 2nd and 3rd over. The team in the second round was much stronger and the same team had beaten us last year. We had a much better team last year but still we lost our quarter finals match to this team. When we reached in quarter finals last year, it was an achievement as before that Geometric had not gone past the first round only.

We lost the toss and were forced to field first. I bowled the first over and it went well as the score board read 5 for 1 at the end of it. I was on hat-trick before bowling first bowl as I had taken 2 wickets in last 2 deliveries of my bowling in the last match. I thought I would take a hat-trick again like last year. But I could not take hat-trick but I did manage to get rid of their captain caught behind the wickets. I handed over the second over to Suboth Yadav, who is a very good left arm fast bowler, but he could not find line and gave away few runs in the form of wides. We got another wicket in the second over as Pravin took a fantastic catch on long on boundary. I continued bowling and the scoreboard read 15 for 2 at the end of the 3rd over. We dropped 2 catches behind the wicket in the same over. We conceded around 17 runs as Pravin got hit to two boundaries out of which one was a miss field and another was a clean hit in long off area. Next 3 overs were shared among Shriram and Pravin. Shriram bowled both of his overs very well but he was not supported by fielders properly. On many occasions we gave away two runs where only one run was possible. At the end of the 7th over score board was showing 55 for 2. I called up Subodh to bowl last over but on the second thought I decided to take a risk and handed the ball to Vishal Prajapati who got beaten severely in his first over in last match. But he bowled a superb over giving a way just 3 runs and taking a wicket which was fantastically caught by Devidas in cover area. At the end of the innings score was 59 for 3 and we needed 60 runs in 8 overs.

Our openers, Ashwin and Subodh, gave a descent start and score board was showing 23 for none at the end of the 3rd over. We lost momentum in next few overs and we could not maintain required run rate. We got 3 runs in the fourth over and we lost Subodh in the same over. Vishal Prajapati was the next to go who could not stay on the crease for long. We scored 6 runs in the 5th over. I went in 4th over when we had around 22 balls and 32 runs to score. We scored 4 runs in the 6th over and we needed 34 runs from 24 balls. We badly needed few boundaries. I was hopeful since Shriram was batting with me and he has caliber to thrash the ball over the boundary rope. Unfortunately we lost Shriram in the same over and got only 6 runs.

We needed 18 runs in last 6 balls which was almost impossible task unless we get a very weak bowler who would bowl a couple of short pitched deliveries. We had no option but to try for six. I was on strike. The first ball was a good length and with all the power I had, I hit the ball in deep mid-wicket area. The ball managed to land just out side the boundary rope. It was a six. This is what we needed to believe that we could get another 12 runs from 5 deliveries. They changed fielding position and added one more fielder in deep mid-wicket area expecting me to hit there again. I studied the field and decided to take advantage of a little gap that was left in the off side. Next ball was neither over pitched nor shot pitched. I managed to get bat onto it and it went to deep point. On any other occasion we would have taken a single but we had no option but to run for second. Pravin, who was on the other end, told me that the only way we could win the match in to take at least doubles. When we needed 10 runs from 3 balls, I hit next ball in long on area and Pravin completed second run amazingly as he was running to the danger end. The equation was looking relatively simpler now as we needed 8 runs from 3 balls. I again tried to hit the ball in deep extra cover region, but I missed the ball completely and it was a dot ball. We needed 8 runs from 2 balls. We desperately needed a boundary. I re-looked at the fielding position to find if there is any gap which I could make use of. I was hoping a short delivery which I could hit in square leg area as the ground is shorter in that area. I could not have aimed long on or long-off as the boundary is too far and I hardly remember any occasion on which I have hit such a long six. It would have been a dream six for me if I could thrash the ball over long on or long off boundary. I was ready for the next ball hoping a weak delivery but the ball was perfectly over pitched. There was no time to go on back foot. I just took the ball under the bat and hit it straight over the bowler. The fielder at long on had enough time to come under the ball as the ball was high in the air. As the ball came closer to him I saw him jumping to catch the ball. There was no chance that he could even touch the ball. Oh my god it was a six. A straight six. My dream shot. On a dramatic occasion. I saw Geometric supporters jumping.

The Mission was still not over and we needed 2 runs on the last ball. We needed 2 and not a single as even if the match was drawn we would have been thrown out of the tournament since we had lost 4 wickets and the other team had lost only 3. So we needed 2 runs. I just had to hit the ball somewhere and I was sure that Pravin would have run for 2. I saw a huge empty area in off side but the ball came right on the bat and I hit it between min on and long on. Again there was almost no chance for second run but we had to run for it. By the time I had reached non striker end, Pravin had covered half of the crease for second run. With all the power I had, I run for second run. When I reached safely at the striker end I turned back just to see that Pravin had reached the non-striker end long back.

Geometric supporters were running towards me and I was running towards them raising my bat. It was a marvelous victory which I cannot forget ever. Though it was already 9 pm and everyone was supposed to reach home, we spent half an hour discussing and enjoying the victory.

Next day, Geometric Sports committee's report was as follows:

Kamlesh Guides Geometric-A to a Sensational Victory over GEE (Godrej Electrical and Electronic)

Slamming an unbeaten 23 off 10 balls, Kamlesh pulled back Geometric A from the brink of defeat to post a six-wicket victory over GEE in a 2nd round cliffhanger of the Godrej tourney. The win has consolidated Geometric A’s position in the pre-quarter finals.

Geometric had lost to the same team last year in the quarter finals. After losing the toss and having forced to bowl first, Geometric started well getting rid of their captain in the very first over. However few wides in second over and a couple of boundaries in 4th over put the opponent in comfortable position. At one point, with 56 for 2 at the end of 7th over, they were set for a huge total. But Vishal Prajapati’s stunning over restricted the score to 59 runs. A fantastic catch by Devidas in the same over was very special. Shriram bowled a disciplined spell but he was not supported by fielders.

Geometric A were on the verge of defeat with 18 runs needed from the last over while chasing 59, but Kamlesh, with the help of two sixes and three twos in the last over, tilted the fortunes in our favor.

After a solid start from Ashwin & Subodh, Geometric A was sailing smoothly to an easy win. But quick wickets in the 4th & 5th overs put breaks on the score. From 23/0 in 3 overs, Geometric A were pushed to 42/4 in 7 overs losing wickets of both the openers (Ashwin and Subodh), Vishal & Shriram.

Kamlesh took the game from there to clinch what at one point looked like an improbable win. He was supported by Pravin from the other end stealing risky runs.

No comments:

Post a Comment